Saturday, October 25, 2008

internship begins...

hey everyone, so its been a while since I updated this thing... sorry about that... so last thing i said was that i was having problems with motion sickness... God and I have been working on that and i think i have found a way to make it bearable anyways... so this is good... So last weekend... I went to a couple of smaller cities called Alexandria and Rosiorii de vede. H2H works with the orphanages out there.... Its quite interesting cause the kids their dont live in an actual orphanage complex, they live in apartments that the governments own... so they have better living conditions than they used to have... The school where we handed out their school kits was actually the old orphanage complex.... in comparison to the apartments the conditions at the school were not good at all.... well i am going to back up a little on the story cause i need to tell you my first experience of the public transportation system... keeping in mind that this was early in the morning too... and i am much better with it now... anywhos here is the story.... so we were supposed to meet the other girls at 8 am (Amy and I) so we were planning on leaving the house at 7:30 am... I am normally a person that gets ready the night before (which I did, thank goodness) but is still up an hour before I leave, that didnt happen this time. I was woken up by Amy at 7:20 am... so needless to say we didnt leave by 7:30 am... when we left the house we thought that maybe we could still make it to the maxi taxi (this is about the size of a 15 passenger van or a mini bus) on time, but as we walked out of the yard the maxi taxi pulled up and left... so we had to catch a bus instead that came about 5 mins later... the bus was packed i was standing directly in front of the door in there cause there was no other room... while we were on the bus we were held up by the the train... so that was another like 2-3 mins of waiting making us later. We finally arrived at the metro station (subway) and we had to buy me a pass... that didnt take very long... after that Amy told me she heard the subway train so we ran down the stairs and i was not even 2 steps behind her... she jumped in the car and instantly as she jumped in the car the door shut... there was no way for me to get in.... so it took about another 5 ish minutes for Amy to turn around and come back... so as soon as we got off the train it was about 8 am. and met up and went on our way.... what a great way to start the day. anywhos back to the orphanages... The kids were absolutely excited and so happy to see us... but the language was so overwhelming... I dont know we were standing there and Lenuta, Mariana and Amy were all handing things out and I quite literally was standing there doing nothing cause i didnt know how to help. The Rosiorii de vede was fun too!!! We handed them out to 4 different orphanages which was done over the course of two days!!! This past week i have gotten into routine of what the internship is going to look like... here is a daily schedual so you can understand some of what i am talking about... Monday 9:30-12:30- Romanian lessons with Florenta 3:00-6:30- Working at the Baby Hospital with Angela Tuesday 10:00-12:00- Staff devotional bible study and prayer time 3:00-6:30- Peris orphanage (Over night in Ghermenesti) Wednesday Am- language review/orphanage prep time 3:00-6:30- Peris orphanage (Overnight in Ghermenesti or Pipera (team house)) Thursday 9:30-12:30- Romanian lessons with Florenta Pm- old baby hospital with Corni or Transition Graduate visits with Jenny and Sanda Friday Am- language review/internship homework 3:00-6:30- Baby Hospital with Angela *One weekend a month go with a team to Rosiori de vede. This would be leaving on Thurs morning and returning Saturday or Sunday afternoon anywhos so ya i am travelling all over the place and starting November with the orphanage at PeriČ™ I will be teaching dance sign language classes... i know me teaching that how can it be... well they saw me signing to songs and i guess thats what happened.... anywhos yes that is basically the how my last week went... i will talk to you soon... God Bless, Lindsey Toma

4 comments:

J and H said...

Lindsey:
Ahh yes, public transportation adventures around the world are so much more eventful than in Canada. Fun stuff!
Thanks for sharing your stories and the various pictures. Wow, Romania is home to some spectacular scenery!

Walshy said...

Lindsey! Glad you are doing well! I will continue to pray for your travelling stomach bug..that literally does bug you! Enjoy Romania..!

Anonymous said...

Wow!! Sounds like you have a very busy schedule ... but I can see you having so many great experiences ... I'm glad that things are getting better regarding the travel ... Thanks for sharing ... I love hearing about your adventures
Natashia xxx

Unknown said...

Hey Darling,
It sounds like you are having an amazing time, which is awesome, I miss you though. I love all the pictures you have posted. Keep the updates coming, so no one gets worried, and write me a huge long email sometime, okay? okay!
Keep having a wonderfully splended time,
Amber